Friday, August 27, 2010

Favorite Hair Products So Far


Hello again.
This time- HAIR. I've got only one rule i always apply- 'go big or go home'. Seriously :)


I HATE flat hair since i'm a firm believer in the 'your hair is your crown' thing. My natural hair is very thick (thanks to mom&dad), with think, shiny hairs, very full and naturally wavy, so i could never complain in this department. However these products work with ALL kinds of hair, from fine and oily to dry and bushy. Most of them have either been personal recommendations from friends or Makeupalley finds.


Let us proceed.
1. Shampoo and Conditioner:




I have two HG products (so far)- Aussie Aussome Volume Shampoo and LUSH Big. I know Aussie has two volume-giving shampoos, Real Volume and Aussome Volume. I got the latter because of the daring marketing shoveling down my throat, and i didn't regret. I guess the scent, consistency, price etc are already known by everyone. I love this shampoo because it does what it says- gives great volume, NO tangles (i also have very long hair...yeah), smells deliciously (bubblegum, citrus) and leaves the hair very coif-ready. it can sometimes feel a little crunchy but no biggie- once it dries, you'll notice how ruly it is.

LUSH Big is an excellent product as well. With a couple of problems. The packaging- if you keep this stuff in your bathroom and open it while you're bathing (i.e. duh duh duh) it's humanly impossible not to get the jar full of water. I don't mind it that much because i noticed the water doesn't affect the shampoo in any way, on the contrary, gives a shy start for the salty crystals to soften a bit faster when applied. For those who prefer to keep their things in their natural form, this is going to be a troublemaker. Two- the fact that it made my scalp quite greasy immediately after the first two-three uses, then i got used with it. Buuuuut it was a bit scary in the beginning. My hair was incredibly soft after it dried, i couldn't believe it. The next morning- an oil slick. I don't know whether this tends to happen to everyone because the MUA reviews didn't mention this issue, but it did happen to me...and i wasn't that happy.

My newest shampoo+conditioner find is the L'Oreal Total Repair 5 system. I really like it, and i used to loathe L'Oreal hair products because they never worked for me. This one does, but it's been only a couple of times so i won't swear by it..yet.

Volumizing mousse/products:
Tresemme Volume and Lift Mousse






I bought it by chance and ended up addicted to it. The difference isn't so huge since i already have quite big hair but it's indeed visible, giving an impressive look. The mousse comes in a big bottle with a cleverly designed nozzle (simple and smart to prevent product clogging- two-sided nozzle) and it lasts forever; a little goes a long way. Even if you use more than necessary you will not feel your hair greasy or crunchy. It won't look messy no matter what. I put a dime-sized amount on my fingertips and gently rub it in my scalp with circular motions; i concentrate in the front, the crown and the upper sides of the head, leaving the back untouched, for a more beehive-wannabe effect. I then scrunch my hair with my hands and blowdry it as usual, sometimes turning my head upside down for a more pronounced final effect.
I like this stuff a lot, and it's cheaper than most so-called 'volumizing' products.



In the past there was one product that disappointed me- Schwartzkopf's Osis Dust It Volume Powder. The lovely Lollipop26 blogged about her Punch It Volumizing Powder but i haven't seen the brand in any Swedish store or salon yet. And i'm still disappointed over my Osis Dust experience so i figured why not stick to what i have.

Basically Dust It claims to be a volumizing powder that can help even in oily hair cases. Howeverrr....i just couldn't get over the stiffness of the hair once you've powdered your roots with it; not stiff, as with hairspray, but just harsh, you can't move it around, if you try to brush it it's going to hurt. Then the bottle is so un-ergonomic that you end up pouring the VERY delicate (thus quite runny) powder specifically on a single spot and then good luck distributing it...you have to be either super light handed or have someone help you. Thanks but no thanks. Plus that it costs an arm and a leg, yeah it lasts, but really, NO.

I get my big, healthy and naturally-looking and -feeling hair with the Tresemme mousse, and i couldn't be happier. perhaps it only works because of my naturally thick hair and none of my friends use it, so i can't comment on its universal properties, but it does look and work lovely on me, therefore i'm sticking to it. Plus that i've had the bottle for about 7 months, been using the stuff partly every wash, partly 80% of the time, and i still have way more than half the bottle.

Heat Protective product:
Lee Stafford Flat Iron Protection Shine Mist



I was sucked into buying this by one of my friends with gorgeous locks who has never had any problems from any hot tools and her hair always smells amazing. It's not expensive, it's available almost everywhere (except for the US maybe, i think DulceCandy87 mentioned in one of her videos that she purchased Lee Stafford products in London and that she hasn't seen them in her area, California that is), it comes in a lovely pink spray bottle and the scent is delicious and divine- Thierry Mugler, a combo of Angel and something else but i can't tell what. However, the scent is NOT overbearing at all, tones down once the hair is dry and it just delicately lingers around your tresses...which i love. I've also noticed that scented hair products help preventing my hair from stinking up in between washes, so hurray for this one.

This is a water-based spray and i honestly think this formulation is the best choice since you don't risk frying your hair or weighing it down as it might happen with oil-based stuff. I also used to apply Tresemme's Heat Protective spray, and i also like it, but Lee's smells better.

Anti-frizz and leave-in:
Aussie Dual Personality Anti-Frizz+Conditioning Milk



Another lovely product from Aussie. It's not on the pricier side (i think it costs as much as the Lee Stafford spray) and it does work. I found some negative reviews on Makeupalley but honestly none of that happened to me (greasy hair, tangles, etc). It does what it says, basically. A pump or even less suffices my long and thick hair, i evenly distribute it along the entire length of my locks (except several inches closer to the scalp) and i am very happy with it. First, i think it's a great anti frizz since i definitely hate the so-called 'anti-frizz' oily stuff. It never worked for me. This is a cream, a leave-in conditioner that also helps styling your hair because it gives it a bit of body, not necessarily thickness but it certainly helps you style it easier and faster. The anti-frizz properties worked for me (tested in super high humidity) which was enough; i actually purchased this on a rainy day while under depressive feelings due to my ruined coif. The scent is also very pleasant and it goes well with Lee Stafford's spray. Hurray.

Shine spray:
Tigi Bed Head Headrush Shine Adrenaline Mist






A great product. From the cool packaging (a big pink spray bottle with neon green cap) to the lightweight formulation and great shine. It lasts forever as well, i was given this by a friend who owned three of these and this bottle was the one she used the most. I've been using it after every wash and i still have more than 50% (approx.) left. It smells deliciously, the classic Bed Head scent, and it is indeed misty and easy to wear (so to speak). It doesn't make my hair greasy but you have to be careful, read the instructions and spray it from the recommended distance otherwise you'll get oily.

No-no product- Toni&Guy's Shine Spray- basically nicely scented oil.

The spray nozzle is large and you get splashed with a wave of oil that weighs down the hair big time. It smells nicely (think Gucci Rush perfumes) but if you are really going to use this, spray it on your palms and gently run them through your hair. I never spray it directly.

Hair Spray:

Scwartzkopf Got 2 Be 2 Sexy Collagen Life Effect and L'Oreal Elnett spray





Elnett- the cult, as we all know it. A tad granny scented (roses and powder) that fades off. Great anti-frizz properties. The only hairspray that gives TONS of volume and doesn't look like hairspray. Hands down the best available on the market. I can easily brush it off of just brush my hair as i normally do and the volume and body is still there. Good job L'Oreal.

Got 2 Be Collagen spray- okay this is supposed to be a 'lift-it' for the roots, which is why i bought it. I wanted to see whether i can achieve the beehive look or not. I've heard collagen isn't necessarily bad for the hair but it can weigh it down and make it look bleh. It hasn't happened to me yet, although i have to be careful with this one, basically spray from a considerable distance (min. 30 cm) otherwise the hair gets really stiff (but the say it on the bottle). However, this is one of the best hairsprays because it doesn't make the hair crunchy yet it gives it shine and body (+ a liiiiitle bit of stiffness, which i like when i want to fix some curls or a bun).

Boar Bristles Hair Brush



I can't believe i waited for so long before purchasing this! It really untangles the hair, makes it shiny, doesn't break it and removes dirt and dust without the annoying static effect of other brushes. What i most like about it is the natural side- the 100% natural bristles + the wooden handler. A bit difficult to clean because we wouldn't wanna ruin the wood or the bristles so it takes around 15 minutes to get it all washed up and rinsed properly, but it's worth it. I was initially planning on getting a Mason Pearson brush but this stuff is the same at a fraction of the price (i paid the equivalent of 6 euros with a coupon, full price around 12 euros compared with more than 100 euros for a pure boar bristle brush from Mason Pearson. wowsa!).

Tangle Teezer



(i have mine in light purple)
It WORKS. Untangles the hair like nothing else, it's resistant, easy to clean and maintain. The only thing is that i'd rather use it as an 'untangler' only since the bristles are made of plastic and i hate the static effect; plus, brushing your hair with a plastic-bristle brush will seriously deteriorate the hair shaft. I love using it on wet hair, super safe and easy with the tangles. once the hair is dry, insert boar bristle brush here and voila happy hair.

1 comment:

  1. got 2 be collagen spray is the best hairspray i have ever used !!! and smells gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete