Saturday, August 28, 2010

Face Stockholm Liquid Foundation Review


Today i managed to take some prettier pictures of what my Face Stockholm Liquid Foundation has looked like at its best. First thought- i love this stuff. I'm usually excited about all their products because they're so amazing (yet pricy), but this foundation has exceeded all my expectations. It's a very particular product and i'm uber happy for having purchased it.

Liquid foundation is known for not giving the highest coverage but to be honest i was getting kind of tired of the Double Wear's heaviness. I do like it and it's an amazing product but i just needed something lighter, something that would make my skin shine through and just breathe, feel and look as natural as possible. Yet it still had to conceal my minor imperfections (circles+sunspots) and be as moisturizing as possible. Face Stockholm also has the exact product with the sole difference that it has a matte finish (their Matte Foundation), which i don't quite fancy, in general.

The bottle is a little pricy, retails for the equivalent of 37 dollars (or 24 British pounds) and it's 29 ml of product only. To be honest i think this foundation is better than many other high-end brands i have previously tried (Chanel, Dior, Smashbox, Laura Mercier etc) and that were expensive as well. Plus, you really can't beat the fact that Face Stockholm is a professional brand created by two professional makeup artists. I tend to trust professionals more than i trust haute couture brands who took up makeup. But i digress.

My shade is Noble, a light beige with quite neutral undertones. No orange, no pink, no nothing, just a beautiful color that mimics my natural skintone to perfection. At first both I and the SA thought Swedish Summer would be more suitable but to be honest i'm waaaayyy over my 'tanned' phase (when i was buying darker foundations in bulk...go figure) and i just preferred to keep it simple. Therefore i was matched with Noble.

Coverage: This stuff gives coverage but not the heavy-duty type. If you expect something that would cover in the Double Wear or MAC Full Coverage way, this isn't like that. I don't mean to sound biased (i am NOT affiliated nor paid by Face Stockholm, ha!) but this foundation gives me coverage without looking like 'coverage'. I can personally spot when someone's wearing the 'full coverage' foundation because of the thick, most of the time matte finish their skin has, the unusual flatness of the skin and the complete opacity of the surface, even when it comes to a dewy finish. It's just easily noticeable, to make it simple. This foundation looks incredibly real, yet it covers a lot. I would probably say 75% coverage (considering 100% to be Kim Kardashian's Concrete&Wax foundation :) )
However, i don't have scars, acne or major spots/discolorations so perhaps if you're battling with any of these you might want to reconsider. It is, after all, a lot of money.

Finish: The skin is moist in a natural way. It's not Chanel Vitalumiere's greasy sheen, it's not powdery, it's not unnatural or the so-called 'dewy' (either oily or shimmery). It just settles in my skin and clones my skintone. The producers' website mentions it's also very buildable, all you have to do is to wait for the first layer to dry and then you can come back with dabs for a fuller coverage (i didn't try this).

Shades: It comes in a variety of around 23 shades, some of them named in Swedish-'Jord' (soil/earth), 'Uttryck' (expression), 'Mörk' (dark), 'Höst' (autumn); adorable, if you ask me. The thing about these shades is that they are extremely well calculated to mimic the real skintone of a human being. I still remember the utter disbelief when testing several high-end foundation shades- it looked like they had been created for aliens- oranges, purplish-toned pinks, etc.

Scent: it's not scented. If you sniff it really hard (like i usually do, hehe) you might feel a whiff of something ...'cold'. I'm really not good at describing scents :) however, it really doesn't smell at all and there is no way you are going to experience any irritation because it doesn't contain fragrance.

There is something particular about this foundation. When I put it on, it looks exactly like in the bottle (which is lighter than my skintone); as i blend it in/rub it in, it gets darker and recreates my skintone. At first i thought it was the lighting and after finishing with the makeup application i dabbed a bit on my hand in front of then window; the first five seconds it looked like i ended up with something lighter, a weird fluid that was never going to cover anything or even adhere to my skin; immediately after the 'cloning' took place. I don't know if this is something characteristic to my shade or if the foundation itself it's meant to do this; their website says nothing. They also recommend both brush and wet/damp sponge as application methods so i didn't do anything different. I was definitely amazed. Not impressed, AMAZED.

Pics from today's makeup. I was really surprised at how well it matched my skintone (the peachy H&M blush applied in the hollow of the cheeks only). For the first time, my jawline and ears were the same color as my face :)

(excuse the unnatural contacts)



(the blush directly on the foundation, no powder applied. I loved how my pores were looking so demure and my skin looked all natural, with a hint of sheen from the blush)

(no blush, just the natural shade of the cheekbone)

(natural chin, not shiny, not matte. It did a great job with my pores)
Therefore..: Hands down, the best foundation i own and HG (HG list to update). I am still counting on Double Wear for 'rainier' days but this one is definitely going to be my staple. Hurray for beautiful skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment