Sunday, September 5, 2010

Helena Rubinstein Magic Concealer Review

...this was the HG concealer to replace my Nivea coverstick...and well, it does. Big surprise, right. Well, it's just different.

The reason for which i wanted to write this review is the rather high number of negative comments and reviews of this product. Around 70% i'd say, which is quite significant. If i'd listened to them i wouldn't have purchased this therefore i wouldn't be dark circle-free. So i honestly think there's a lot of misconception surrounding this product and i really like it; here you have my honest reasons why.

1. Price: expensive, but you get 15 ml of product which is twice the quantity you get even with the most hyped concealers (YSL, palettes, etc).I'm not a makeup artist, i'm on a student budget so for me shelling out a ton of € for something meant more for professional use isn't very appealing. I have a lot of experience, mostly negative, with concealers, and i knew what i was looking for. This is it. The price is around € 35 which is quite high 'for a concealer'; however, you get to use this for a long time so i personally think it's worth it.

2. Packaging: very similar to Lancome's Effacernes.
I think HR has a nicer packaging because the tube is a tad slender, the color is a nice, pearly beige and the cap, a little bit more glamorous. However, they're both 15 ml (0.5 fl. oz.)
3. What it claims: micropearl particles illuminate the skin, the lightweight consistency sinks in and doesn't crease or look unnatural and the chamomile extracts help combat puffiness, redness and irritation. Non allergenic, comedogenic, acnegenic & cruelty free. Okay.

4. Shades
This is one of the points most reviews 'attacked' when talking about this- the limited range of shades (i agree with this one) and the pale colors of this concealer. Most light-toned people chose shade 01 Light or 02 Medium and complained about the 'white halo' around their eyes. 
This concealer comes in three shades that only cater to light skintones, therefore there's no choice for darker complexions. However, if you're not extremely light skinned the best choice is 03 Dark, which is a tad lighter than my skintone (imperceptible difference). I picked it out because out of all shades (Effacernes included), it suited me best. For reference, some SAs say i am an NC20 and others, NW30 or 35 :)
03 Dark is the most natural shade a concealer could ever have. It beats Effacernes, Shiseido's concealers, my beloved Kanebo Sensai stylus concealer, everything i ever tried before. It just perfectly mimics my skin, both in color and texture, and sinks in until there's no difference. That's what i was looking for in a concealer. I still love my Nivea stick but i use it for the lower undereye areas, where i need the peachy tones to combat dull skin that sometimes happens with foundations combos. 

5. Texture
......where most reviews and videos come in and dub it as a terrible product- they speak of liquid consistency, a runny texture that's so thin it ends up flooding the cap (!!!). I talked to the SA when i purchased this and she told me the same- if the product is liquid, DO NOT buy it- it's most certainly altered. This concealer is NOT liquid at all. It has the same consistency as Lancome Effacernes and it is not supposed to run liquid at all. 
The consistency is that of a soft cream, not creamy cream but not fluid at all. It feels and looks very satiny and should blend in immediately, no residue between the fingerprints or cake-ness whatsoever.
I feel that it blends amazingly easy into my skin, sinks in and doesn't look like concealer at all (a superficial look would rather categorize the swatch as a medium-coverage foundation):
My hands are lighter than my face so that's why the swatch looks darker. In reality, it's a very soft, satin finish concealer that's perfect shade-wise. I was undecided and thinking about ordering the Bobbi Brown creamy concealer (or moisturizing, i have a lapsus right NOW) and it was HR's consistency that sealed the deal. It's really fantastic and i tend to believe the 'Magic Concealer' name wasn't just a marketing stunt.

6. Coverage
As i said, it DOES cover circles and imperfections. I have dark, purple circles i can't conceal with anything, except for a couple of uber thick and creamy products (Max Factor Erace or Nivea Coverstick). I usually manage to get away with thick layers under my eyes but i felt i needed something that would look a bit more natural. I honestly think i didn't know what 'natural' meant before i tried this. It doesn't look nor feel like concealer; it's lighter than my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation but conceals like magic. I pat it on several times, ring finger (haven't tried it with a concealer brush but who knows), it sinks in right away and erases my circles and spots. The end. It's really simple. I wish i didn't sound so overhyped but it is truly something i wasn't expecting. I tried 03Dark under one eye and Effacernes in 04 (i can't remember the shade name, but it was nr 04, something with 'Beige') and the Helena Rubinstein looked more natural and it didn't crease. 
Yes, it doesn't crease, and EVERYTHING creases on me. More or less, depending on the product, but i always had to touch my undereye area (especially in the inner angle, under the lower lashes) and make sure i'm dabbing any excess away. Perhaps it was just my paranoia but i felt i had to do it. With this one, it doesn't happen, i don't need to touch it and whenever i'm feeling an itch to check it out, i stop myself from fear of ruining the effect. 

7. Finish
Very natural. Doesn't look dry at all, doesn't look like concealer, it illuminates a little in the sense that 'opens up' the eye area rather than splashing a layer of white paste (YSL, I'm looking at you right now) or giving a shimmery effect. It's very natural, incredibly soft toned, it is the first concealer i own and doesn't look or feel like concealer (but i've said this before). Well that's the point with this product, it hits right where all other products have missed, and believe me, i've tried so many, from high end to low end. Anyways.

Therefore...: I highly, highly recommend this. Best product i ever used. I wonder if Helena Rubinstein's foundations perform as good as this concealer does. I already have several powders and highlighters from HR but i never expected their concealer to be so good. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. I would like try this, I read a few good review on it:)

    ReplyDelete