Friday, September 3, 2010

Biosilk Silk Therapy review

Truth hour. I've used this serum twice with the same results each time, so i'm more than certain things aren't going to change. Now let's see.
Price: Very high. I have the small bottle (50 ml, 2.26 fl.oz.) and paid around €20 for it (26 USD). It's a very high price if you ask me, for such a small quantity. However, a little DOES go a long way. That's the thing about this product.

Consistency: formulated like the greasiest oiliest oil on the face of the earth. It's thicker than a usual oil, almost like a whipped grease, transparent, VERY oily. I get my hands soaked in this every time i handle it. I don't mind, since that's what the therapy is supposed to work like, but you should be warned.

Packaging: quite ok, i like the nozzle, the bottle is whatever, what i don't like is that you have to gently squeeze the bottle to get it out, which can be a nuisance since you're always ending up with more product. Gotta be extra careful with this. Transparent plastic bottle so you know how much you have left. A pump would have probably worked better, but since the consistency is SO oily and you need the smallest amount, i guess squeezing it out and 'personalizing' the quantity is the best. Though you can squeeze more than you actually need. You get my point.

What it says it does: the most effective silk therapy, covers and nourishes the hair shaft, adds shine, protects, regenerates, etc, the usual things you hear about serums. Although this is the most successful and sought after serum therapy ever (studied this aspect so yep, this is supposed to be 'it') so it's supposed to be wonderful. I find that it is...with some noteworthy aspects.

Scent: most people dislike it. It has a pungent smell, roses and powder, granny-like. It's neither overbearing nor light. Tends to soak in the hair so after a good blowdry you might still feel it (i do). I don't dislike it at all, it feels very good to me and my hair. Anything other than 'dust', 'smoke' or 'fries' is more than welcome to leave its olfactory trace on my locks.

What it does:
Now. There are many reasons to dislike this product. First, you can never do good with the quantity. I am amazed at how little i need, and i have long, thick hair that goes below my back. I only need the tiniest amount ever and i'm afraid i'm going to say that i can never do it- dispense the right quantity. Both times a single drop appeared to be too much for my entire hair length, which is quite eyebrow-raising if you ask me.
Another thing is the fact that it gives shine for the first day after use, then the hair gets dull-clearly, it's because the product is too thick and needs to be washed off right away; perhaps it's meant for apres daily wash cure. But they didn't say this. Anyways.

Then, it weighs my hair down like crazy. I used all sorts of serums, mousses, sprays and gels and NEVER experienced flat, dormant hair. It's just stuck to my head, still thick, but lifelessly 'hanging on'. Add this to extra long hair and you've got yourself a mass of thick hair that basically points down and looks pathetic.
One related aspect would be that it makes the hair too soft. Not greasy, but lifelessly soft. It just....hangs, i don't even know how to describe the effect. It doesn't look bad, it's just a change in texture that i notice, and since i like big, thick hair, i'm not pleased with this at all.

Finally, i think we all got it wrong (me and the MUA reviewers that is). This serum is dubbed as a THERAPY product, which means:
a) you have thick, curly, extremely dry hair (not my case)
b) your hair is seriously damaged and craves for nourishment it will absorb (not my case)
c) after a perm, relaxing, permanent dye (not my case)
d) use it as a 'treatment', wash it off the next morning, do the same for about two-three weeks, then give it a rest to see the effects (again, not my case).

Therefore...: This isn't your usual 'after wash', protective serum. It's a treatment and must be used as such. You can't slap it on and go out the door; gotta treat it like a leave-in hair mask or conditioner otherwise you get heavy hair.
It doesn't leave the hair oily (i forgot to mention this), at least it didn't leave mine. But it contributes to earlier oily roots (2 days tops) thus washing my hair was a must. I didn't really like this.
Most of the MUA reviewes were disappointed in this product and i think it's because they didn't need the hardcore, industrial-strength care this serum provides; the positive reviewers were all persons with either thick, curly or permanently treated hair (relaxed, permed, bleached, etc) that needs special care.

All in all, special attention must be paid to this product. I think it's going to last me forever given the microscopic quantities i'm using, and i think it's really the best product ever for dry, brittle ends. Of course it doesn't 'repair' split ends (our old scissors talk...), but softens them and helps in the anti-frizz department as well.
Therefore, be CHEAP with this product if you decide to invest in it or give it a second chance. Be careful, distribute it evenly (the best thing would be to have someone help you if you have long hair like i do), use the tiniest amount and concentrate it on the ends/driest parts of the hair.

 For my hair, the uppercase quantity (a quarter of a drop) is enough for 10 cm of hair ends. I am more than serious, use the smallest quantity you can take out of the tube and gradually massage it into your hair. If you're not sure about how much you need, try squeezing out as little as possible (barely noticeable trace of product would be recommended), blend it in your palms, feel the consistency and the way it slathers itself on the skin and then decide how much your hair needs. Believe me, that's the only certain way to go with this product.
Indeed, if you are in strong need of something therapeutic, then this is the thing to go for. Five stars in this respect.

2 comments:

  1. Did you use this on your roots (that;s what i understood)? If u did I have to teel you it's a huge mistake, you only use it on the lower half of the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have very soft curly hair which drinks up most other products. This works great on wet hair. And doesn't weigh it down. I get it at Marshall's for about half the retail price.

    ReplyDelete