Monday, September 20, 2010

Hair Supplements..part 1

I've recently purchased some silica-based hair pills after reading Laura's post about hair supplements and her evolution so far. I've been taking these for five days only so i can't comment too much about the effects. However, i think i am beginning to see something.

...It all started with my hair being thick and strong and everything, but losing luster, getting a bit brittle (many little hairs on the skin after brushing it, anyone?), and most important of all, falling. Now let me be clear, i don't suffer from anything in the family of chronic or exaggerated, i am not 'losing my hair'. It's just that i'm bummed at the 20-50 hairs i lose every time i wash my hair, or i comb it, or style it etc. It's worse since my hair is very long and thick so to be able to properly take care of it (washing, blow drying, styling) would imply a time period of about two hours. If i do it normally like everyone else i always end up with a bunch of ripped hair. Not pleasant at all.

And i don't think you have to have a 'problem' with your hair to start taking supplements. I mean after everything we're putting our hair through on a daily basis this is the least we could do. 

Getting back to the story, the supplements i am taking are made by a Swedish health store chain named Life, and they're nothing complicated- just bamboo extract,Pantothenic acid (vitamin B5 basically), Biotin and a complex of other B vitamins- B1, B2, B6, B12. It also contains, of course, the silica extract (a silicone) which makes about 60% of this supplement (or more). 

Now, the changes. It's not like my hair grew like Rapunzel's in three days. I've been taking these for five days only, remember. However, i noticed i am not losing as many hairs as i did before- perhaps less than a forth of what was happening down my shower drain. Brushing my hair is also easier in the sense that i can properly use my brush throughout my locks and not worry about getting it out full of hair- i don't shed as much as i did, basically. And i'm happy with it.

I was a little bit worried in the beginning because of the Pantothenic acid which the SA at the Life store warned me about- it can cause acne or skin oiliness. It hasn't happened so far, which i enjoy, but still, fingers crossed- i'm supposed to go through 60 tablets, one a day, thus two months until i can finally deliberate on these supplements. And if everything is going well, no breakouts, i am going to upgrade-Viviscal i mean, or something more concentrated B vitamin-wise.
Therefore, i definitely think supplements should be tried by everyone who's experiencing mild hair loss, occasional breakage, etc. Or if you also want glowing skin and stronger nails- my supplements advertise these effects as well, so there you go. 
I'm going to do a bit of a diary follow-up here and note my weekly results...apart from the lashes therapy as well. Two months more to go (minus five days)!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you can. Use olive oil, coconut oil, or castor oil. This will keep your hair moisturized daily.
    www.herbalarc.com

    ReplyDelete