Monday, September 20, 2010

Happy Birthday!

'Today' is my oldest brush's birthday- it's turning six. The birthday is actually an occurrence from around the end of september but i figured the time's up anyways. I purchased it while vacationing in Italy in the autumn of 2004 and it's the oldest thing in my makeup stash. It's been through quite a lot-bouncing around in my makeup boxes during five tempestuous moving processes, two years of dorm life, migrating from one city to another, one country here, another one there. I purchased it at UPIM, an Italian CCO (i guess that's the best equivalent i can find).
It has definitely seen better days. The handle is scratched a bit, the bottom part of the paint has chipped off a long time ago (silly me, i didn't think of the clear nail polish trick..), and it has shed a low number of hairs over the years.

I got paranoid one day and fixed it with a pair of pliers- thought the hairs were 'loosening' and didn't want to lose the brush. 
 I didn't, it hung on for dear life, despite all the mistreatment and abuse it's been subjected to (scalding hot water baths, improper storage, combing the hairs to make them 'straight', yep, a lot of bad stuff has happened to this little fellow). 
Against it all, the brush is still soft, has about 90% of its original hairs (it shed a tiny bit only) and perfectly workable. I still use it for blushing the cheek apples because it's quite 'small', it fits perfectly for contouring or blushing on small areas when i don't wanna do the 'swipe' thing. 

I paid about  €12 on it, which at that time was quite a bunch of money. It's hand-made in India, the hairs are natural (goat i suspect, they're not incredibly soft to be something else) and the handle is sandalwood. The transparent paint coat would have lasted even longer if i hadn't stored it in a mug (!) where i kept my toothbrush as well (!!!), therefore it chipped because of the water on the bottom of the mug...and moist residue, and everything else. Sorry i mistreated you little fellow. Happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment