Thursday, October 28, 2010

Products of the Month

Deciding the stuff i've rediscovered in my hidden stash deserves a holla. Stuff i've loved and used over the years yet i somehow strayed..but they're definitely making a comback.


Estee Lauder Double Wear

Part of the 10 pan project since i've already gone through two bottles. While scratching my head and looking for a dupe i realized there is no such thing....hence the 3rd bottle. Unfortunately i had to purchase the same shade which doesn't quite suit me (Ivory Beige)...thanks to the understocked EL counter. Grrr. Anyways, the problem isn't a problem at all considering i love mixing this rather heavy foundation with moisturizer, face cream on colder days, Le Blanc de Chanel, for a lighter, glowy base, etc. The ways of this foundation seem to be endless indeed and i couldn't love it more. 


H&M Brow pencil & powder set

Why did i stray in the first place, i don't know...over the past two years i've gone through an endless amount of brow products and always ended up coming back to these ones 3-4 times a week on average...i guess they're my to-go products when i want something fast, easy and natural looking. The pencil is from their latest 'collection', an improved version of the old formulation, with a softer, longer brush and a wonderful pigmentation that's just a teeny tiny bit less gray than Clinique's Superfine Liner for Brows in 02 Light Brown. Lovely! 


Red Lips are making a comeback!!

As a neutral, pink lips person i found myself inexplicably attracted to more colorful shades...cherries, raspberries, even russian reds. Hmmm something's definitely coming. I am currently loving the Maybelline lipstick in Fatal Red, it's great for both a dramatic look as well as a paler, chapstick-looking lip. Had this lipstick in my drawer for a year now (almost) and probably used it twice or three times- hence the strong comeback. 


Max Factor bronzing powder
MF Bronzing Powder & The Body Shop concealer swatches
I cannot believe how natural looking and smooth this bronzer is. I'm also shaking my head at the enormous pile of bronzers i've accumulated so far...while being totally oblivious of this one.

Why did this happen in the first place?? well...most of my other beloved bronzers are amazing as well, different pigmentation tonalities, so i guess that explains it. However, given the age and dent of this bronzer i dare say its newly acquired status as product of the month will go on since i'm planning on finishing it up in combination with other bronzers. I like that it's very, very natural, more on the pink/fleshy side with no orange tones whatsoever (shame on you, Smashbox Bronze Lights!). It works perfectly with every brush, it doesn't stain or get muddy and it' very easy to blend. There are many beauty 'gurus' and bloggers who love this product- no wonder i wanna use it every day from now on. Perfect for contouring as well as for a bit of a sunkissed look. 


The Body Shop Concealer

The one shaped like a pencil. It's really a great find. I found this in my 'old makeup' box, have never used it before since i was the impression it was going to cake and crease, as every Body Shop concealer/foundation i ever tried. Wrong. It's a beautiful, natural looking concealer that i love using as a foundation as well because it's sheer enough, doesn't settle into pores or fine lines yet has a great coverage potential. Its newest job is to serve as an eyelid primer as well and it does work better than everything i ever tried before (except for Estee Lauder's Double Wear, that stuff works great as well). However, the packaging, while being cute and all, it's hard to maneuver...which translates in buying a jumbo size sharpener. From the Body Shop. Which is expensive. To use for the concealer only. Yep.


Yves Rocher Luminelle powder

Whilst not being a powder person at all, i could say, this stuff got me hooked because of the packaging. The lovely Plexiglas compact has thick, transparent bubbles on the lid and it looks like a fatty baby-powdercase :) just cute and sweet and adorable- had to have it. Quite intriguing since it also comes in one shade only, aimed at working as a powder with illuminating properties.

No shimmer, no 'light reflecting particles' (which is usually a decoy for glitter)..yet it does the job without caking. Pretty much like Max Factor's Creme Puff, only a lighter, much finer consistency in the sense that it feels as satiny but the product picks up less and looks less obvious on the skin. It's very cheap i believe, i got it on sale in Stockholm, and i've been using it with its retractable kabuki brush from Yves Rocher that i've been carrying around in my bag ever since.

Never before had actually CARRIED a powder case in my bag WITH a brush (a fluffy, powder one!). I might not be a powder person, or think i am not, but it does come in handy whenever my t-zone gets a bit shiny. I'm so out of the beauty planet-i just began taking makeup with me. Plain stupid not to do it on a regular basis, right? Oh well.


L'Oreal Elvital Hair Mask

An amazing product.

I am uber surprised with this- the shampoo worked beautifully for both my brushes and hair; this product comes in a 300 ml jar and i got it on sale...pretty good deal if you ask me. The thing is this is BETTER than anything L'Oreal i've tried before, even their Professional line (the champagne, silver and light yellow packaging). It smells very strongly but i don't dislike it since it's sweet and flowery and lingers on the hair long after you've washed and dried it (no more Crispy by French Fry for me).

The effects are fantastic for a drugstore product-it conditions and softens my hair without weighing it down or making it look greasy two days after, it also combats frizz (!), which means i no longer have to use anything for that, gives a healthy shine and overall, it does work wonders as a treatment. Add this to UV protection and intense moisture (no oils or silicone whatsoever) and you've got yourself a little wonder. Makeupalley seems to agree with me as well, this being one of L'Oreal's most voted non-professional hair products.


The Makeup Store Microshadow in Ghetto (matte)

....the perfect eye/brow shadow ever. Very pigmented. Great dupe for MAC's Espresso as well. Larger packaging and lower price. Very silky texture. Needs a light hand since it's VERY VERY pigmented. Loves it.


Isadora Blush in Coral Blossom


This blush is currently on a fast paced climb on the HG ladder. I love everything about it, the color, pigmentation, even the little brush it came with.

What i especially love about this is that it can be used as an overall blush-powder as well, whenever i feel like peaching up my complexion or even for slightly correcting mismatched/grayish foundations. To me it works pretty much like Benefit's Coralista plus the very intense pigmentation-a natural bristle brush + light hand advised. It's just lovely and i think this is the only blush i am actually able to gently sweep all over my face for a healthy, rosy complexion effect. I dab the brush on the pan, gently swirl it on my palm to remove any excess and with the little bit of product that's left, i go all over my face. Ta daaa! Really pretty and definitely worth the (kinda low) price. 



H&M Hello Kitty lip balm

My favorite lip balm of all times.

I hate that H&M comes up with new formulations of lip glosses/balms every two-three weeks and finding an 'old' product becomes virtually impossible. I used to be a die hard fan of their Raspberry Vanilla Hello Kitty balm, a creamy, double-shaded lip conditioner that came in a round little pot. They obviously discontinued that but came up with something even better ingredient-wise.

This lipbalm is great for me because, in comparison with other lip conditioners (Vaseline, Rosebud, etc), it isn't 99% petroleum jelly with some flavor in it. It contains aloe vera leaf extract, chamomile oil and beeswax apart from the usual vaseline-butene-polywhatever-ates (cheap) lip balms tend to be packed with. Another great thing about this is that *...drums...* i actually think it works as a bit of a lip plumper...to a certain extent.

I don't know if it's just me, but as soon as i apply it I can feel an intense (but pleasant) tingle and my lips get smooth-no more creases/lines. I've cheked and double checked and it isn't the effect of the product deposited on the lips-just plain old science! While i definitely can't say 'buy this, it will plump your lips' given the low price and no plumping effects advertised, i do think it makes a difference in my case. I use it on top of every lipstick, lipliner or just gloss, for a paler, more natural look, i like the aroma (sugary with a hint of bubblegum) and the price tag (under $3).

No comments:

Post a Comment