Friday, October 15, 2010

Ardell Duralash Experience....and why i am never doing it again

Oh well, well well. Where do i begin.

For an assiduous blogger like i am a prolonged  absence seems a bit painful to be honest, but i decided to st(r)ay away from any type of beauty blog since it would have talked me into writing...and i needed the time to be able to deliberate on my experience with semi-permanent lashes (the drugstore equivalent of lash extensions). I got the Ardell DuraLash in medium, black, regular individual false lashes, one box.
 
This is what happened so far. I first put them on the same day i last blogged, which would be september 24th. I took them off yesterday evening. This has been my journey with these lashes and my honest opinions are what follows. For your sake, i strongly recommend you to PLEASE read what i am writing here in case you're fancying the idea of a brand new set of fanned out falsies...i wish i could have had a detailed 'story' about these lashes before i even thought of purchasing them. So i begin.

Day One-Purchase and Application

I actually purchased the babies separately from their adhesive, the LashTite, since i thought it came inside the box-not. You must shell out other 4 € for the small tube of glue, which isn't all that but i was definitely super excited and wanted them on asap. Therefore i came back to the store and got the glue. My version is a very small one, not the huge tube depicted on makeupalley, so you might find the same type too; don't stress, it's the official adhesive marketed under different packagings around the world (i assume Europe and the US at least).

Putting them on is a hassle. Actually this is the key-the application process. Being the newbie that i was i frantically researched and came across a nicely written and detailed review on makeupalley. This is where it all started.

On the packaging you are advised to dip the small knot of the lash group in a tiny bit of glue and then apply it on your lash root-not on your eyelid skin, like you would regularly do with strip false lashes. The review (actually several of them) advised to engage in a more 'complicated' process that would mimic the salon lash extension technique-basically dip the knot, drag it along your lash (the one you decide to stick the knot to) so the adhesive would stick to a larger portion of hair, then fix it along this glue line, at the root of your lash. This way you are given more support for the false lash, hence increased life span. 

Well i did that. But it didn't work out because you have to be VERY handy to do it. I'll tell you why. No matter how much you comb and curl your natural lashes beforehand, it's impossible not to get glue on the neighboring lashes as well, especially around the base. The hairs are small and fine, and unlike hair, that you can clip while working through, there's no teeny tiny lash pin you can use. Therefore...disaster. This is what happened to me, on my first application- if you're handy and like these lashes by all means go ahead. 
Basically i ended up with small glue knots all over my lash roots, not sticking to the skin so it was quite visible i had 'balls' of glue all over my eye, from which the lashes started, darker and thicker than at the ends. It was quite unnatural but hey, they were long and bushy so i kinda loved the change. 

The other eye turned out more normal looking since i screwed the 'technique' and went with the packaging instructions-just attach the knot to your lash roots (or wherever you feel comfortable as long as it's not the skin, so they say) and you're done.

Another thing would be that if you don't have naturally thick and gorgeous lashes (which means you actually don't need falsies, but i'm just saying), you need more than ten clusters for each eye simply because they will look spiked, thin and unnatural. The best result you get by applying the clusters very close to one another, or coming back with other clusters and filling in the gaps. I used all the lash knots in the box for both my eyes, and i don't have particularly large eyes or desire for a dame Edna look. Some reviews mentioned combining two lengths for a maximum natural look- short and medium were the most common choices. I wholeheartedly agree, however one size (medium is the best in my opinion) isn't bad either since you can gently trim the inner angles of the lashes and make them look very natural. 

They can be easily curled and made up with mascara, they don't look fake or ugly or anything in the family. In fact, this is where it gets better-after a while, the hairs soften- you wash your face, take your eye makeup off, put your eye makeup on, curl them, clean them, rub them, etc- and they look like real, uber long and thick lashes, Spanish eyes style. Lovely. I adored them and felt super happy i had finally discovered something that didn't cost an arm and a leg, didn't involve salons and hours of sitting on someone's lap, high maintenance and regular 'refills' at high costs as well.

Then i started noticing the downsides....

First, the glue hardens very fast and creates a sort of 'bridge' all over your roots, especially if you use the 'technique'. If you have diligently applied  the lashes as described on the box, there will still be small glue 'stains' that once hardened, will sting your eyelids when you close your eyes, sneeze, squint, etc. It's very uncomfortable especially for people with sensitive eyes-i have no problems whatsoever and it still bothered me. I didn't use a large quantity of glue so i dare believe it wasn't 'my fault' with this.

Another thing-the glue will create the aforementioned 'bridges' and the eye makeup will slowly deposit on it, making the upper lash roots look dirty and full of shadow/eyeliner.
 what the roots of the lashes look like...scary. Filthy. Hazardous.The hardened adhesive keeps moist, bacteria and dirt stuck in your lash line, thus making it prone to infections and other dangerous happenings.

It's very hard to clean them because you have to use a lot of makeup remover and q-tips and gently rub; the cotton/fibers will get caught in the glue asperities and good luck yanking them out...no matter what you do, you'll always feel you haven't properly cleaned your lashes, and it is visible. Thumbs down.

Then, after a couple of days your natural lashes' curl will cease to exist so you'll feel the need to curl the falsies altogether- once curled, they don't come 'down' unless you wash them with lukewarm water. If you have applied your entire face and eyeshadow makeup and see your own lashes pointing down among the falsies, and if the falsies are already curled- you can't curl them again because they'll look excessively bent upwards, they'll touch your brow bone and mess your eye makeup-mascara on the lid and shadow on the lashes. Not pleasant at all. So pray that your natural lashes won't be too visibly sticking out from the falsies abundance, and that's about all you can do. 

These lashes didn't feel particularly heavy, actually they're lighter than strip false lashes; however, when you twist them and arrange them with your thumbs (they get a bit messy, mimicking natural lashes very well) you feel a bit of pressure on your natural eyelash roots thus an uncomfortable sensation. That's their weight and the pressure they put on your lashes, and it will take a toll. 

You get used to sleeping with them, swimming, taking showers, rubbing your eyes more carefully (you risk to rip your own eyelashes off if you're not gentle) and why not, a minimum amount of mascara; that was the best part of this experience- a tad of concealer, contoured eyebrows and i was literally good to go. Having these eyelashes on seriously cuts back on makeup time and allows you to feel fresh faced and pretty 24/7. It opens the eye, gives you a Bambi look, everything very natural and tasteful (especially if you have darker hair or larger eyes). I got a ton of compliments and they all said 'wow, your lashes are so long and full!' and not 'are you wearing falsies?'.
The lashes soften and gradually start mimicking natural lashes in texture, curl and volume-however, notice my own lashes through the falsies

The party's over

Then...a week and half after, when there was no sign the lashes were going to budge (as opposed to makeupalley reviewers claiming they experienced a softening of the adhesive and even fall outs two days after), i started losing my own lashes. Two, three hairs each eye, but it scared the hell out of me since i never, ever lose lashes. I think i lost one when i rubbed my eyes too hard trying to get rid of some overnight Shiseido mascara base, and that was all i can recall. I saw the lashes falling, and they weren't eyebrow hairs or the falsies- they were MINE. Oh no. Combine this with the cautionary instructions-don't use anything oil-based or you'll lose the falsies- and you get the perfect recipe for disaster. I couldn't condition my lashes with vaseline or anything else because i was afraid the adhesive will slowly soften and i will start losing lashes on my way to work, on the street or at my boyfriend's (not cool at all). Little did i know you can use ANYTHING, and i mean it, and the glue won't budge unless rubbed with industrial amounts of the Ardell LashFree adhesive remover....clever market move, huh. So if you're already wearing them and reading this, go ahead and use everything you desire-baby oil, vaseline, coconut oil, avocado oil, EVOO, the glue won't soften at all. 

Not to mention the worst part- a red inflammation of the lid on my left eye-partially caused by the hardened glue constantly poking my skin, partially by makeup residues i couldn't remove no matter what. It looked like a very bad irritation, almost like a small infection. Yikes. 

Then my own lashes were growing under; i could see the roots and the false lashes flipping and vibrating every time i blinked. They were losing their solid support base and were hanging on my lashes, weighing them down and putting even more pressure on. Well....i got the adhesive remover and started rubbing. And i rubbed, and rubbed, and massaged, and touched, and everything in the family. The LashFree remover comes in a tiny bottle, has an oily consistency, smells a bit like nailpolish remover and stings like crazy; hard to apply (how can you hold a paper tissue between your eyelids AND apply the remover at the same time??), time consuming, smelly, stingy, all in all a completely terrifying experience.

The clusters finally softened and started slipping down my real eyelashes; i didn't pull because i was really afraid to rip my own lashes off. Well, the only difference the adhesive remover did was to spare me of some pain- the horror. I saw most of my natural lashes stuck in the glue gunk as the falsies were coming out... and this isn't the worst part. I literally have no lashes right now. The adhesive has burned them down and made them fall out. 

This is what my lashes used to look like before.


This is what they look like now.

Notice the red spot on the lid- that was taken during the removal process. I no longer have the irritation going on therefore it must have been caused by the glue+dirt+makeup leftovers. Disgusting and dangerous if you ask me.

I have far fewer and shorter lashes than before; the glue literally destroyed them. I am never going to use the LashTite adhesive; if i fancy some individual falsies i'll go with the good ol' Duo adhesive or just regular glue. It's such a shame because they don't mention this effect...and for the ladies on makeaupalley who swear by wearing these lashes for twenty years- then you either have no lashes of your own left, or they're super-lashes. I can't explain it otherwise. This means i'm back to my vaseline+borage oil+castor oil routine again, slathering ten times the quantity and brushing them for ten minutes every night. I can't even begin to think what am i going to look like with mascara...thank goodness for the Shiseido mascara base, i hope it can help me a little in this department.

Bottom line-i strongly, strongly recommend you to stay away from the adhesive; it's just painful, complicated, and it takes a huge toll on your natural lashes. Goes straight into the trash can.

Therefore...: Yes, they look amazing. Yes, they can look natural and lift your entire look, particularly for a special occasion. However, there are serious problems you might encounter with these lashes, as i did. Everybody is different and if you are already a user and love them, by all means keep up the good work. What happened here happened after a decent amount of time, and perhaps my eyes are just built that way that it simply happened (the unwanted redness and inflammation). My advice would be use them, if you cannot resist the temptation (i almost felt the urge to apply them again after seeing how bald my eyes looked after removing them), but remove them as soon as possible, gently as possible, and then engage in an assiduous process of conditioning your lashes...because the adhesive does take a toll on them. I am never going to reapply the adhesive-i have no problem with the lashes whatsoever. So yep.

41 comments:

  1. Ohhh noo ! I was so excited about these lashes , got them off the Internet and still waiting for them to be delivered , not so excited now after reading this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mean to discourage anyone from using them or the brand- I am a great fan of Ardell's false lashes; unfortunately, not the adhesive-powered ones, the reason being exactly the product itself. I found that it's hard to apply, it's messy, and can destroy your lashes even if you're careful when using the remover. If you ever try this (the effect is indeed gorgeous), be extra careful and armed with all the products you need...plus a TON of patience!

      Delete
  2. Wow thanks so much for posting your experience. I bought the kit today after reading such a good review about the kit but after reading the instruction on the kit, i realized that I misunderstood on applying these lashes. I thought I was suppose to apply them close to your lash line not on your actual lashes so I was trying to research the effects of the adhesive on eyelids and came across your blog. After reading it, I decided to return the kit tomorrow and exchange the kit to regular falsies w just reg glue. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buy the white tacky adhesive eye lash glue. The ones that come with fake strip lashes. It won't hurt your eyes that way. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This exact same thing happend to me as well. I have the bump and everything right now and I've been trying all day to get the glue off. I really did not want to go waste more money on this brand but I guess I will have to go buy the remover tomorrow if you said it eventually worked for you. :( VERY disappointed in this product. Please people do not use this stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the exact same experience as stated above. Please don't use this product unless you don't want any lashes or don't have any to begin with. I've tried everything and they will not come off except for pulling my natural lashes out with them

      Delete
    2. I got the individuals last week.. BIGGEST REGRET EVER. i would rather have short real lashes than this nasty, thick black glue, that let me say...sticks to your bedding, towels...everything. My lashes are falling out with the false lashes...NOT HAPPY.

      Delete
  5. I read that while I was trying to take them off and this is exactly what happend to me -.- It was just a painful money wasting experience, the remover doesn't work so well and I f**king can't take the last one off.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I literally came online to read about how to remove Ardell individual lashes because of how much of a painful struggle it is to remove them with the given glue. This was my first time using Ardell lashes and lash glue and it has been a traumatic experience. That may sound dramatic, but it should NOT be this painful. The remover burns your eyes and irritates it while your natural lashes fall out. Terrible experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. She said she used individual eyelash glue for cluster lashes! Hmmm and this is why you leave eyelash extentions to tha proffesionals!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been wearing these lashes for over 5 years yes i have a special way to apply them no i have never lost lashes i put on new ones everyday( i don't go on vacations so i have my own eyelash budget) because i use mascara on them and i don't want to get a nasty eye infection that's just me but i put on both eyes in lest than 10 min and get compliments all day long i think like anything else practice makes perfect please don't give up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i used the same glue and the same thing happened. i regret using the glue. is there any other semi permanent glues out there that dont kill your lashes?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish the glue had worked for me.....I blinked and the lashes fell off....I reapplied using extra glue.....a little more sticking power but again a quick brush with my fingers and off they came...never needed the remover. Waste.of.money.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I would have read this 3 days ago when I felt the need to get falsies professionally done. I got here because I googled the glue used and got to this page. They look beautiful but the hardened glue does hurt when I blink and it stings so bad if it gets in your eye. I was thinking of taking them off after this weekend.. after the second day when I woke up I noticed some swelling above both my eyes. Fuck man... it's definitely the glue not the falsies that's the problem..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had the same thing happen to me, I started looking online for different glues. I ordered a bunch and have been using this for a few years now. http://www.ilovemylashes.com/page/1230568

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear of someone mixing the Ardell glue with Duo so it's easier to come off and more natural feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Omg haaaallp I can't get them off :'(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been doing these types of lashes on myself for over ten years now. I wouldn't recommend the ardell individual lash glue to anyone! It's horrible and it dries hard. I started out using that glue and hardened pieces of glue would always poke my eye, it's the worst!! I recommend going to a beauty supply store and buying the black hair extension glue, I always buy black so it blends in better with my natural lashes. The hair extension glue is rubbery and extremely easy to remove. They last for about 2 weeks with proper care. To remove I usually lay a hot wash cloth over my eyes to loosen the rubbery glue and the come right off :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice post and thank you for sharing your experience!!

    View More : http://www.ok2spray.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not experienced the problems that others have with this glue. I wear natural looking strip lashes daily and have always used the regular strip lash glue etc...even with my individual lashes. I was always afraid of using lash tite because I read all the negative things that can happen.
    I decided that since I am now an experienced eyelash user, I would just try using lash tite with some individual lashes and test it for myself.
    lashes stayed on all day. I was curious to see how/if they would come off that same night.
    I washed my face in the bath as I normally do...the warm water made them all loosen and come off without any tugging on my part. I was surprised.
    I took a cotton pad with baby oil to get residual mascara off and to see if I had any extra lashes that my bath hadn't taken off. All lashes came off in the bath and my eyes were left just as clean as can be.
    I was surprised because it's actually harder to get the stickiness of the regular daily glue off of my lashes.
    if I am going to just take them off at the end of the day, it might seem like a waste to use lash tite but I like how it does dry completely invisible on me and I don't have to use a liquid liner to cover up the dried glue..so the lashes look even more natural.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello,
    These above expressed procedure of eyelash extension is just awesome and unbelievable. Its a very nice process to get beautiful eyes...
    eyelash extensions Bondi

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so happy to read this and know that I am not the only person this has happened to. I had amazing lashes and just wanted to enhance, and now I have no choice but to wear falsies or I basically have no lashes. I was terrified to see my own lashes coming out with the glue gobbed false ones, and as sorry as I am that it also happened to you, I am grateful I am not alone. I hope yours grow back faster than mine have! And less sporadic and ugly, mine are terrible now :( And the remover is horrible! So harsh and stinky!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just a tip if anyone is trying to remove the lashes : gently rub baby oil, or coconut oil (honestly any type of oil will do )on the lashes and continue to massage the eyelid and the false lashes will eventually fall off.

    PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PULL THE FALSE LASHES OFF, YOU WILL LOSE YOUR NAURAL EYELASHES FOR SURE

    hope this helped :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Omg I am shocked to see that so many people have had the same inflammation before die top this glue and they are still selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I actually had the same exact experience as you. I tried applying them a second time in hopes that I put too much glue on and that was the reason the hard glue was poking into my eyelids and irritating me-especially seeing as I don't have sensitive eyes at all. I fixed everything I did the last time, but nope. The hard glue was still sticking into my eyelids. When I removed them, I lost so many of my natural eyelashes. I, like you, used to have beautiful, long eyelashes- so nice that people would ask me if I was wearing falsies when I only had mascara on. Now, I can barely stand to wear mascara because it just enhances how sparce my eyelashes have become. I've just started wearing ultra thick winged eyeliner in hopes that people won't be able to see how messed up my lashes are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I agree this product was not easy to use, and luckily I did not suffer lash loss taking them off (after a day). The hard, dry glue made my eyes uncomfortable. I felt such relief taking them off. What I did was saturate the lash line with the glue remover on my ring finger, and pat, pat, pat, then let it soak in and soon they all fell off with almost no effort on my part. Maybe the heat from my finger activated the glue remover? IDK but I won't use these again. Too painful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did the application a few days ago and really dislike the feel, they look pretty amzing though. Im here because i need help removing them, nothing works!!!! Will try the adhesive removal next and hope i still have some lashes afterwards

    ReplyDelete
  25. I put them on a week ago for a wedding. They are now driving me CRAZY and I cannot get them off. The remover is a joke. This is going to cost me a lot of my own eyelashes before they come off. Do yourself a favor and do NOT use this product. The glue is like crazy glue, and they are not that comfortable. After a few days you will really want them off.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post.
    Use top 10 eyelashes growth serum, Buy careprost online usa to have longer and thicker eyelashes.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I believe the problem you ran into is that you attached individual cluster lashes all over the lid. I believe this glue is supposed to be used for lash extensions. It is difficult to come off because it is supposed to remain on until the lash naturally falls out. SoOoo...even though you are attaching that individual "cluster" you would need to make sure it attached to ONLY one of your lashes. One of your own lashes may be ready to naturally fall out and the one next to it...not so much. If glue has attached cluster to both of them then you are quite literally ripping lashes out before their time by putting that tension on them. I would assume this level of lash manipulation (applying lashes to just ONE of yours) would be extremely difficult by yourself. It sounds like this glue would work great for it's intended purpose and even better with individual 1 lash extensions or even multi lash fans (not clusters). I love that there is a reasonably priced long lasting "extension" glue. Most glues of that caliber are MUCH more pricey.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hey
    Amazing Post, Its my first visit on your blog but it seems like there is plenty of nice stuff around.I will certainly refer it gradually .
    Thanks for this wonderful article , it is indeed a great help and a time saver
    <a href="https://savarnasmantra.com/products/nourishing-lash-oil>Eyelash Oil</a>

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  30. Hey , Amazing Post, Its my first visit on your blog but it seems like there is plenty of nice stuff around.I will certainly refer it gradually .
    Thanks for this wonderful article , it is indeed a great help and a time saver
    https://savarnasmantra.com/products/nourishing-lash-oil' title='Eyelash Oil' >Eyelash Oil

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey , Amazing Post, Its my first visit on your blog but it seems like there is plenty of nice stuff around.I will certainly refer it gradually .
    <a href="https://savarnasmantra.com/products/nourishing-lash-oil”>Eyelash Oil</a>

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hey
    Amazing Post, Its my first visit on your blog but it seems like there is plenty of nice stuff around.I will certainly refer it gradually .
    Thanks for this wonderful article , it is indeed a great help and a time saver https://savarnasmantra.com/products/nourishing-lash-oil' title='Eyelash Oil' >Eyelash Oil

    ReplyDelete
  33. Antonella Premium 5ml eyelash adhesive - ensures the highest standards of quality and safety.Our adhesives are ready to take on any eyelash application activity. adezivi gene

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nice Post. Eyelash Boxes Cosmetic products are necessary products for every women. If you are dealing in any kind of cosmetic product i.e, custom lip balm boxes, cosmetic box packaging, eyeliner boxes, lip gloss, and you need packaging for these boxes, like Eyelash Boxes then visit Boxesme, We are offering error-free designing and free shipping in all over the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is very nice blog. Thanks for sharing. When you need eyelash extension supplies at reliable rates, we have a wider collection from which you can choose the suitable for your needs. Shop with us now!

    ReplyDelete
  36. The DaeJin Chemical Co., Ltd is one of the leading eyelash glue manufacturers in Korea that provides a quality product without any use of harmful chemicals into it. Our products are labeled with high dignity in the cosmetic market today.

    Being a reputable eyelash glue manufacturer, we can provide you with a wide array of eyelashes and Eyelash extension adhesive glue products, including; Crystal glue, Glue OEM package, Lady Black glue, and Sky Zone.

    ReplyDelete