Saturday, August 6, 2011

Chanel Vitalumiere Satin Smoothing Creme Makeup Review


I'm finally back on track with a wonderful product I've been wanting to review for ever, since it's less popular than the 'classic' Chanel Vitalumiere, which I tried and didn't love. Not the case with this one. 

Price: I was fortunate enough not to pay anything for this baby since I got it as a present from a friend. I guess the price is around $ 50, which isn't cheap at all. However, there are some props with this specific type of foundation which clearly make up for the bucks you pay.

Packaging: I really like it, but it's not ergonomic. The squared glass jar looks beautifully, very retro for a foundation since it doesn't come in the typical bottle with a pump. I like this packaging more than anything else, regardless of the fact that it's a pain to carry it around for touch ups. The thing is...you don't need any with this baby.


Shades: It comes in 9 shades, beautifully pigmented and extremely realistic. I've always praised other foundations, especially my beloved Estee Laude Double Wear, for their pigmentation, coverage, endurance, etc, but none comes close when it comes to shades and their adaptability. Most of the shades available on the European/US markets are beige-toned, and the ones catering to rosier complexions are demure and very skin-like. I have mine in 20 Clair, and had the classic Vitalumiere foundation (the one in the bottle) in 30 Cendre (I think it was 'Shell' in English). They are pretty much the same thing- the same undertone basis, the exact same 'color', Clair being a little bit lighter than Cendre. Very nicely executed replica, since it's quite difficult to find consecutive shades that are really a scale and not a pallet. 

I think Clair suits anyone with a lighter complexion- NW 20-30, even 35 (in summer, when tanned), or NC 20-25. It has beige undertones but neither orange nor yellow, just 'cream'. 

Another huge prop of this foundation (perhaps given by its consistency as well as the shade's potential) is the chromatic adaptability- it doesn't suit my skin 100% (what foundation does it to the degree of perfect?), but it manages to blend in perfectly to the point where I can't tell where I have applied it and if I need to blend it in my neck/hairline. Awesome. This is prop number 2, it's never happened to me before, with any other foundation, not to this degree. Really impressed by it. 

Consistency: creamy. Like a face cream, think Nivea Visage. Doesn't run, doesn't dry up fast. It's really beautiful to look at, since it gives the impression of a luxurious product.

Honestly, that's all you need for half a face. I was very surprised since this foundation is identical in terms of consistency with Nivea Beauty Lift, but seems to 'multiply itself' when applied. 
I did my makeup using a normal foundation brush, as opposed to Chanel's brush indicated on their website (big surprise, right). It worked wonders. 

I've always been the eye-rolling one while reading hundreds of reviews where the ladies praised various foundations, or even makeup brushes, claiming it cuts back on the quantity they use. In my case, I need two pumps on average, and another extra half pump for the undereye area and various spots/discolorations. With this foundation, I can happily say I have entered that 'I Only Need a Little' category.

Application: Smooth like nothing else, it works beautifully with anything- fingers, sponges, flat brushes, kabuki brushes (when I'm in a hurry), even with my stubborn Sephora #44 stippling brush, and I never got that one to work with anything, EVER. I guess it's the consistency combined with the strong pigmentation that allows for such a small quantity and a beautiful finish. I prefer using it with a flat brush, because I don't like getting my fingers dirty, and a sponge would suck up too much product. I also like the dewy finish, which doesn't quite happen when a sponge is involved.


Coverage: Five stars. The foundation is allegedly medium coverage, I find it to be full. Without the mask effect. No pores, no lines, no caking up. It's creamy and allows for building it up in as many layers as you please, without getting messy if used on primer, anti-shine gels, even powder. It's simply wonderful. 

Below are some photos taken at various moments of the day, with or without flash, in natural shade or lighting. 
Natural light, at noon, just blush on the cheeks (no powder)
Natural light, in shade, right after application (nothing else on top)
Natural light, opposing the sun (that's why my skin looks reddish), after 5 hours of dancing. Concealer under the eyes and a bit of blush on the cheeks. No powder on the face (just the hairline and lower chin).

Finish: Four stars. It has a very dewy finish than can feel oily, but it looks glowy. It usually happens the other way around with everything else I ever tried- you get an oil slick on your face while the product claims 'glowiness from within'. My skin is mixed, and I wore this in the middle of July for a wedding- it lasted beautifully throughout the night, with a bit of powder (Chanel pressed powder, review coming up very soon) applied mostly on the hairline and around the mouth (dancing and eating involved, thus extra measures had to be taken). It doesn't melt, it doesn't get cakey or sticky if you sweat (especially on the forehead or nose), and it doesn't stain. If you set it with a bit of powder, then you have an 8 hour guarantee. It also has an SPF of 15 and photographs beautifully.
In shadow, no flash light, after 8 hours.  
Right after the application, natural light, facing the window :) Just concealer (Clinique) under the eyes and blush.

However, it depends from complexion to complexion. My friend (the one who gave it to me) has tried it herself and cannot understand why I like it- on her skin it gets messy, gunky and basically dissolves in tiny balls around her cheeks and nose. She has normal skin with a bit of dryness- so she's the perfect choice for this foundation, according to the manufacturer. Many reviews warn about this foundation and oily complexions, and praise it as being the Holy Grail of dry or more mature skins. In her case, it just didn't work out, so the only flaw (and a major one) would be that it's a trial and error issue...which doesn't come in super handy when you have to pay $50 for the bottle. 

Overall: A fantastic product I intend to use for special occasions only. A little goes a long way, so those special occasions might come up every day. Since it's so pricy, I'll just use it wisely. Definitely going to repurchase this and not the typical Vitalumiere, which was a disappointment.

A short comparison between the Chanel Vitalumiere Creme Makeup and the Chanel Vitalumiere Fluid Makeup


-identical shades

-three of four times more coverage of the Creme v. the Fluid

-better finish of the Creme. The Fluid gets soaked in, looks very good and natural but tends to disappear around 3 hours after the application unless heavily set with powder. You need much more Fluid to cover what the Creme does with the tiniest amount

-endurance- the Fluid doesn't last nearly as long as the Creme. I'd say 3 hours v. 8-10 hours.

-the Fluid has a definite advantage in the packaging department; however, I'd rather carry a bulky bottle or depot it in something else than getting stuck with the Fluid. After all, it's about different densities of the products- that's why the 30 g of the Creme beats the 30 ml of the Fluid.

-the Creme will last you many months, daily use, while the Fluid lasts several weeks i assume (I returned mine after two uses, which amounted to 8 pumps. Ouch). You're not paying for water after all (70% of the Fluid) but for something more consistent (Creme).

-the finish is identical, minus the 'sleaking' part the Fluid has. They both look the same when applied, but the actual effect is different with the Creme.

I strongly, strongly recommend this foundation if you like the classic Vitalumiere, it's the same thing only ten times better. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Marie, I loved this product as well. Where you ever able to find a substitute since it was discontinued?

    ReplyDelete